3/7/10

DIY Ruffle Lampshade

Years ago, when my dad went on a mission trip to France, he asked me what I wanted him to bring me. I told him I wanted a mini Eiffel Tower. He said okay.

But then, he didn't have time to go out in search of a mini Eiffel Tower. However, he did pick up this lamp from Target when he got back home. So here's my not-really-souvenir-lamp:


It's cute, but it needed a little something *more*. Ya know what I mean? I thought about adding some ribbon or recovering it with a patterned fabric. But then I saw this shade from Antropologie. And this Ruffle Your Stuff contest Disney is hosting over at ~Ruffles and Stuff~ and I knew what I had to do.


So, I took a little inspiration and an editing eye and now we have:


A ruffled lamp shade! Ruffles are super easy and in case you don't know how to make them, Disney even has a tutorial here.

I measured the top of my lampshade and the bottom of my lampshade, all the way around and doubled those numbers to determine the length of my 3" fabric strip. After I ruffled them up, I sewed them into a loop and slid it over the lampshade. Because the ruffles have a bit of stretch, I just smooshed them into place on the shade. No stitching, no glue and I can switch it in the future!



I'm linking up with these great parties!

My DIY Ruffle Lampshade was featured!

Creations by Kara

20 comments:

TOTEally Posh! said...

So are you participating in the challenge, too? I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do.

Janna said...

Wow! LOVE it!!!

Jackie said...

Ohhhhh, it's SO CUTE!!!!

♥ Noelle ♥ said...

ooh love it:) i love any this french!!

Michelle said...

super cute!

Alicia said...

I love it! It turned out super cute!!

Ginger said...

Hi Jessica, I am your partner in the Easter egg carton swap being hosted by Christine Edwards. Can't wait to get started on it but first I need to know what style you like, color preferences, things you collect or would like in your carton. I tried to get you email but my computer wont let me see your email. Love you lamp!!

Ginger
glitter and roses

brokeintrovert said...

Love it! The ruffles make the lamp!

Vivianapachecofineart said...

Ohh Lala! Wonderful!

extreme personal measures said...

OMGosh!
I love this. I adore ruffles!
Following you over from Shabby Chic Cottage!
I am a follower!
Please stop by!
http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog!! I just love the lampshade.You did a beautiful job....Kathy

nostalgia*gal said...

HI! Love your story of your dad buying this and then the shade you made! Thank you for telling us how you made it.
cheers,
cindykay

Unknown said...

It's beautiful!
Rebekah {All Thingz Realted}

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Thats so cute!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love the ruffle! Amazing what a difference it makes!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Oh, this is delish! So beautiful! I'm in love and want it for my home!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I decided to feature this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "Featured" button.

kim west said...

this lampshade is so darn cute! love it.

Unknown said...

Found you from someday craft - so adorable!

Kim @ http://sunnytuesday.blogspot.com/2010/03/diy-ruffle-lampshade.html
party inspiration

Madelynnnn said...

Oh my goodness, I adore this. I am doing it. This weekend. For sure. lol Thanks for the idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...