12/22/09

Ribbon Tree Tutorial


I saw some trees made with ribbon in the display window of a shop that sells very expensive handbags. They were so cute, I knew immediately that I would have to try to replicate the idea! It was SO easy, I knew I had to share a tutorial with you!

What you'll need:

12" foam cone
9 yard of 1.5" wide wired ribbon
hot glue gun
extra hot glue sticks (I probably used 6 or 7)
pinking shears (optional)


Step 1: Cut a bunch of 2" strips of ribbon with your pinking shears. If you don't have shears, you can use regular scissors and cut the end in a "v".


Step 2: Hot glue the ribbon strips to the bottom of the foam cone, like so.


Step 3: Continue gluing ribbon to the bottom edge until it's full. You can overlap if you have to.


Step 4: Start the next row of strips just above the previous row.

Continue doing this...

...until your cone...


...is all filled up!
Step 5: Now you're at the top. This is a little trickier, but still no big deal. Fold the top edges of the ribbon in to form a point and glue in place.


Step 6: Glue them on the top of the cone.


Step 7: Fluff the ribbons to make it pretty!


Still needs something...

Step 8: Add a bow!



If you make one of these, I'd love to see it!



 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once upon a time, back in the olden days, I was trophy chairman for a dog obedience competition. Among the things passed on to me from the previous holder of the position, was a plastic bag FULL of green 'qualifying' ribbons. With no idea what else to do with these and a club party on the way, I folded them in half and used florist pins to pin them to a cone. They had gold AKC logos printed on them and I folded and trimmed them so that the logo was near the tip of each 'branch'. No - I don't have pictures...just memories.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jessica, that story was mine. (Jane-Elise)

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Absolutely adorable! I need to get a glue gun. But I have never even seen styrofoam cones sold in this country. Very cute idea and so easy. Holiday blessings to you and yours :) Tammy

Janna said...

love this idea and the feather tree too!

jen said...

i love this -- i keep admiring the very large ribbon trees that the anthropologie stores have in their windows right now -- what i wouldn't do for one of those!!!

sportzmom said...

awesome trees...I'm going out now to buy some ribbon!

Anonymous said...

I made some similar trees with fabric strips last month. Yours turned out just beautiful!!!

Thanks so much for joining my very first linky party! :)

Sam said...

I love that!! I think I will make one soon so I do not forget for next year! :)

Patricia L said...

I think I just found my centerpieces for my cookie exchange! :) So easy and cute. Found you @ 30 Days

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...