1/12/12

Revamped Chess Set

Now that voting is closed, I can share the project I did NOT enter in the competition.  I fondly refer to this as my reject project. :)


I snagged this chess set from a friend and loved the scroll detail on the sides, but wanted something a little softer.

I decided on DecoArt Traditions Artist acrylics in Warm White and Aquamarine.  I gave the black chess pieces a base coat of Warm White and repainted the board and white chess pieces in Warm White also.  Once they were dry, I painted the black chess pieces with the Aquamarine and stenciled Aquamarine squares on the chess board.  In real life, the color is greener, but it's pretty difficult to photograph. 

*Quick tip: if you have small things to dry, stick some push pins into foam board and set the pieces on top - no more sticking to the surface!


Then I mixed DecoArt Traditions Glazing Medium with a little bit of black paint (little goes a long way!) and mixed in water to thin it out.  I distressed the board and chess pieces with the Glazing Medium by painting it on with a foam brush and wiping it off with gauze.  I am so happy with how the glazing brought out the scroll design!

To finish it off, I hit just the board with some spray adhesive and sprinkled a little bit of DecoArt Glamour Dust in Crystal over the top to girly it up a little bit.


Linking up to these parties!

8 comments:

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Oh my, a chic chess set!! Who would have thunk it? Its adorable, Jessica!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Jessica this looks great! Another different project too!

Amy said...

It looks so much better after, love it! I would't consider it a reject project, it's awesome!

Jill said...

I would never have thought to revamp a chess set - this looks fabulous!

I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
Have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

Chris said...

Hi Jessica, what a fabulous job you did on the chess set. It looks so modern and hip. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

Ruby Jean said...

OKAY!!!! I NEED to go find me a Chess set NOW!!! I LOVE this.. :)
http://shoprubyjean.com/2012/01/sew-crafty-tuesday-6-and-giveaway/

Anonymous said...

Wow that looks SOOOOO much better! Love the colors you chose too!

Special 'K' said...

It has come up a treat. I really love the finish. Thank you so much for sharing. My very first visit here I will follow on my way out so I know my path back here. Perhaps you will find the time to come visit me soon and do the same. I look forward to engaging more throughout the year and beyond. Take care. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...