11/5/08

Honor & Light


Grandma with her six oldest (my mom's the one chewing on the cardboard roll)

As some of you may know, my grandmother died. Yes, we were close and no, I'm not really okay. But I will be. I know it's more of a "see you later" than a "good-bye" but I'm still sad about it. It was unexpected and I think we're all still getting used to her being gone. I catch myself thinking things like "Maybe we can all go to Main Street with Grandma on Black Friday". And then I remember that's not possible. I wonder who I'll call when I need sewing tips. I got to spend a lot of time with her and I have no regrets on that end, but I'm sad for my Grandpa, who lost his high school sweetheart and wife of 51 years. I'm sad for my youngest cousins, who won't really get the chance to know her. And I'm sad for me, for the quilt she was supposed to help me finish this Thanksgiving (for the time I was supposed to spend with her working on it).

Grandma & Grandpa

I know she'll live on through us, her nine children and 22 grandchildren and the countless people whose lives she touched. She was one of the best Christian role models I have been blessed to have in my life. She truly knew how to let her light shine. She was always willing and happy to help, always there for those who needed her.


Grandpa, Grandma and their nine children

Grandma was also my crafty hero. There was nothing she couldn't do. From sewing, cross stitch and embroidery to quilting and crochet, she had it all covered. She was a seamstress, toy-maker and costume designer. She made everything from everyday play clothes to wedding dresses. Most importantly, she sewed with all of us from the time we were old enough to sit in her lap. She instilled a love of creativity in us all.


Grandma sewing with my sister, Amber

Grandma made each of us grandchildren feel like we were the most special grandchild a person could have. We all felt "the closest" to her. There wasn't "a favorite" because we all were. She made sure to spend quality time with each of us. She was an amazing woman and, in my opinion, there will never be anyone more loved and missed than Loretta Eleanor.

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5:14-16

2 comments:

Gladys Strickland said...

I am so sorry about your loss. She sounds like such an amazing person. I don't know what else to say---take your time and grieve as you need to.

Daniel and Erin said...

Jessica, you really favor her a lot in the picture of her sitting on your grandfather's lap!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...